French meat stuffing recipe is a classic dish that is perfect for a holiday meal. It is made with ground beef, pork, and bread crumbs, and it is seasoned with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. The stuffing is cooked until the bread crumbs are golden brown, and it is then stirred in parsley before serving.
History Of French Meat Stuffing
The history of French meat stuffing is a bit of a mystery. There is no one definitive source that can tell us exactly where or when it originated. However, there are a few clues that can help us piece together the puzzle.
One clue is that French meat stuffing is very similar to a dish called “farce” that found in French cuisine. Farce is a mixture of ground meat, bread crumbs, and herbs that are used to stuff poultry or other meats. It is thoughts that the farce originates in France during the Middle Ages.
Another clue is that French meat stuffing is similar to a dish called “dressing” that is found in American cuisine. The dressing is a mixture of ground meat, bread crumbs, and vegetables. After that is used to stuff poultry or other meats.
It is possible that French meat stuffing originated in France and then spread to the United States during the 18th century. It is also possible that French meat stuffing originated in the United States and then spread to France during the 19th century. Ultimately, the true origin of French meat stuffing is unknown.
Ingredients For French Meat Stuffing
The ingredients for French meat stuffing are simple and easy to find. You will need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Instructions For French Meat Stuffing
To make French meat stuffing, simply follow these instructions:
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and pork over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the onion and celery to the skillet and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and bread crumbs and stir until well combined.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
Tips For French Meat Stuffing
Here are a few tips for making French meat stuffing:
- You can use any type of bread crumbs. I like to use a combination of white and wheat bread crumbs.
- If you don’t have poultry seasoning, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of each of the following: dried thyme, sage, rosemary, and marjoram.
- You can add other vegetables to this stuffing, such as carrots, mushrooms, or zucchini.
- This stuffing can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat it in a baking dish in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Variations On French Meat Stuffing
There are many variations of French meat stuffing. Here are a few ideas:
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms to the stuffing.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped carrots to the stuffing.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped zucchini to the stuffing.
- Substitute 1/2 cup of cooked rice for the bread crumbs.
- Substitute 1/2 cup of quinoa for the bread crumbs.
- Add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese to the stuffing.
- Add 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese to the stuffing.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped dried cranberries to the stuffing.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios to the stuffing.
French meat stuffing is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoy on its own or as part of a larger meal. It is perfect for a holiday gathering or a weeknight dinner. So next time you’re looking for a hearty and flavorful side dish, give French meat stuffing a try.