There’s something comforting about a warm casserole straight from the oven. When it comes to combining flavors and textures, few dishes can rival the wholesome goodness of a broccoli potato casserole. This delightful dish combines the earthy richness of potatoes, the vibrant green of broccoli, and a medley of other ingredients that harmonize beautifully in each bite. Whether you’re looking for a satisfying side dish or a hearty main course, this broccoli potato is sure to become a family favorite.
For this flavorful casserole, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of broccoli florets
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to your liking
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Steam the broccoli florets until they are just tender. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Gradually add the flour, whisking continuously to create a smooth and silky roux.
4. Gradually pour in the milk and heavy cream while whisking constantly, ensuring a smooth consistency without any lumps. Cook until the mixture achieves the desired thickness, tailoring it to your preferred texture.
5. Incorporate the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper into the sauce, stirring well to blend the flavors.
6. Remove the saucepan from heat and fold in the shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheeses until melted and well incorporated.
7. In a greased baking dish, create layers by arranging half of the thinly sliced potatoes. Top the potatoes with half of the steamed broccoli and half of the cheese sauce. Repeat this layering process.
8. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes reach a tender consistency.
9. Uncover the dish during the final 10 minutes of baking to allow the top to achieve a light golden brown color.
10. Once the baking is complete, let the casserole rest for a few minutes before serving, allowing the flavors to meld for a more enjoyable dining experience.
Serving and Garnishing
Serve the cheesy broccoli potato casserole hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired. This casserole makes an excellent side dish for a variety of main courses, or you can enjoy it on its own for a satisfying and comforting meal.
While the exact nutritional content may vary based on specific ingredients and portion sizes, this broccoli potato casserole is generally a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The combination of broccoli and potatoes provides essential nutrients, while the cheeses add a delightful richness. Bear in mind that moderation is crucial, particularly if you are mindful of your calorie consumption.
Broccoli potato casserole is a delightful medley of flavors and textures, offering a comforting and nutritious option for your dining table. Whether you’re preparing it for a family dinner or a holiday feast, this casserole is bound to be a hit with everyone gathered around the table. Savor the comforting warmth and goodness of this timeless dish!