Bear claws are a classic pastry that has been enjoyed for many years. They are a perfect treat for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. The combination of flaky puff pastry, sweet almond filling, and a crunchy almond topping makes for a delicious and satisfying pastry. Making bear claws at home may seem daunting but with a few simple ingredients and steps. Anyone can master the art of bear claw making. In this recipe, we will guide you through the process of making homemade bear claws, step by step. So, let’s get started!
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup almond paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the almond paste and granulated sugar until well combined. This mixture will be the filling for your bear claws.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold the puff pastry sheets and use a rolling pin to smooth out any creases. Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the almond paste mixture onto the center of each square. You want to leave enough space around the filling to be able to fold the pastry over it.
- Fold the opposite corners of each square into the center, pressing down lightly to seal the filling inside. You should have a triangular shape that resembles a bear claw.
- Transfer the bear claws to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them apart. Brush the tops with the beaten egg wash. This will give your bear claws a golden, glossy finish.
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds over the tops of the bear claws. You can use more or less almonds depending on your preference.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bear claws are golden brown and puffy. Keep an eye on them towards the end to make sure they don’t burn.
- Allow the bear claws to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will prevent the bottom from getting soggy.
- Once cool, dust with powdered sugar (if desired) and serve. You can store them in an airtight container for a few days, but they’re best eaten fresh.
Making bear claws at home is a delightful experience that results in a delicious treat that’s sure to impress your family and friends. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can create pastry perfection in the comfort of your kitchen. The sweet and nutty flavors of almond paste and chopped almonds complement the buttery puff pastry, resulting in a delightful pastry that’s perfect for any occasion. Don’t be intimidated by the thought of making bear claws from scratch. With a little practice, you’ll be able to whip up a batch of these delicious pastries in no time. So, follow the recipe, let your creativity run wild, and enjoy the delicious results!